Thursday, August 27, 2009

Day 4: Vicki Goes Vegan

My lunch yesterday was fab! I took Carrie's advice and got a little more creative, while still using up my leftovers (those bags of slaw last forever!). Check out my Vegan Nachos:





Now just don't ask about my dinner - I went out to an Italian restaurant and it was impossible to find something vegan. Well, more accurately, it was impossible once I smelled everyone else's food to find something vegan on the menu that looked appealing. I'm finding that when I eat at home it's not that hard to control - just only have vegan products on hand and then you'll be fine. But in a restaurant? That was too much for me to bear. Oh well, we can't all be perfect. But I'm trying!

2 comments:

  1. if you can find tofutti's sour supreme, it'd be a better substitution in this situation than plain yogurt.

    was the yogurt odd on the nachos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've stumbled on a big issue with going vegan--you have to plan ahead in terms of eating out, especially if you don't live in a vegan-friendly town. Most Italian restaurants will have a marinara or pomodoro, though some put meat even in marinara. Additionally, minestrone _should_ be vegan. Honestly, though, all of that's a bit boring. Most American Italian food will not feel like a "treat". You'll have great difficulties with Mexican too (lots of Mexican restaurants use stock in _everything_). Indian and Asian (Thai, Chinese, Korean) fair far better, in my experience.

    You will find that as a vegan--especially if you're eating with non-vegans--you either (a) dictate where the group will be eating or (b) will "make do" with a sub-par meal.

    ReplyDelete